Open RAN is indeed beneficial in building 5G enterprise use cases. For this, many CSPs, and other third parties work together. This is how to roll out a 5G open radio access network (RAN) and develop multiple enterprise use cases becoming possible. Let’s discuss the open RAN. Open RAN is a technical term for Radio Access Network (RAN) interfaces popular in mobile telecoms – it supports vendors’ gear and facilitates cost-effective network flexibility. In other words, open RAN is a concept that represents a more open radio access network architecture than what we previously had. So now let us see how one can build 5G Open RAN enterprise use cases with Smart 5g tester, 5G test equipment, 5g network tester tools and Smart RF drive test tools & equipment, RF tester software app & network LTE 4g tester
What is RAN and open RAN? The Radio Access Network (RAN) is a vital technology to connect users (mobile phone users, enterprise users) to the mobile network over radio waves. In addition, RAN acts as a medium to access all the key applications on the web. But open RAN architecture integrates a modular base station software and hardware integrated platform, which allows different suppliers’ baseband and radio unit components to operate seamlessly together. The main purpose of Open RAN is to create a multi-supplier RAN solution that allows for the separation and disaggregation between hardware and software. This is possible with open interfaces and virtualization and hosting software, and these can not only control the network but also update the same in the cloud.
Benefits of Open RAN:
- Open RAN is useful in introducing market competition, improving network performance, and reducing equipment costs.
- It provides Telcos with more options to work with innovative components by providing network access to hardware designers – telcos will be able to avail of the option by combining both hardware and software components built by various vendors.
- Open RAN creates new revenue opportunities for Telcos who have already adopted this technology to decrease overall network costs.
- Open RAN will enable telcos to set up and speed up new network deployment. This will enable telcos to not only customize but also optimize the networks by incorporating the proper software and hardware components.
- This architecture reduces overall telecom infrastructure costs significantly because telecom companies don’t require to use of private hardware or software thereby avoiding vendor lock-in. Telcos even can also save OPEX by procuring software and hardware components from small vendors.
- With Open RAN, the network operators will speed up 5G deployment – not only supports traditional RAN but also supports multi-vendor component integration, breaking vendor lock-in.
- It can automate complex network (5G) management – Telcos will be benefitted from Open RAN to deploy, customize, and manage the complex 5G using AI.
Enterprise 5G use case with open RAN
- The software-defined and flexible open RAN architecture supports 5G network slicing, which can facilitate the establishment of multiple virtual networks. This will support specific use cases such as a highly scalable wireless surveillance system based on the edge network for dynamic and large-scale networks.
- Telemedicine would benefit through 5G bandwidth as 5G provides reliability, low latency, and security, which are essential for healthcare emergency services. 5G network for remote over a video link as well as capability to manage surgical procedures using robotic instruments will be the new future – for patient monitoring, wearable sensors can be incorporated within the IoT capability using 5G open RAN.
- Edge computing with 5G (open RAN) is another use case that resolves high latency issues and enables large enterprises and their numerous employees or students to have immediate access to the internet, and this will prevent stopping network speed during the time of bulk training sessions or workshops in several large enterprises.
5G open RAN is opening several opportunities for various applications/use cases starting from IoT innovation, drones, to AI, VR AR reality, remote-controlled equipment, and autonomous vehicles. These use cases with such technology will give competitive advantage to businesses across the world.
The main concern comes with network stability and uninterrupted internet service by which enterprises can avail several use cases with 5G RAN technology. And this can be achieved by performing continuous network testing with benchmarking solutions. Choosing RantCell for your network monitoring as well as testing is one of the most reliable non-traditional network measurement solutions to select from. This is a one-stop solution for RAN automation testing, 5G network testing, indoor test/RF drive test, cell tower QoE monitoring and mobile QoE for connected vehicles, etc. Convenient to use even by non-technical person and cost-effective solutions are the topmost attributes, creating interest among our customers to use it.